Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dream of an Impossible Hotel


I wandered through a hotel diverse and miraculous. It seems that I had lived there as a child, and indeed it bore some of the features of one of the apartment buildings in which I grew up, along with some distinctive traces of a building in which I spent a handful of my formative years.

Paper figures, delicately painted and folded, lived and moved in opulent rooms and hallways interspersed with dank cellars with leaky, rusted pipes. I passed by a red velvet lounge, railed round with wrought iron, accessible via a curving staircase of ivory steps and tended by a woman made of clattering wooden boxes. The boxes which comprised her body were very delicate, inscribed with scripts of gold and silver, inset with jewels, graced with intricate handles; they opened and closed in gentle unison with her movements as she wiped down the bar and arranged the glasses.

Elsewhere waiters constructed entirely from mysterious playing cards and decorated with characters in an unknown language carried trays bearing exotic concoctions. Everybody everywhere was in costume, wondrous and full of mystery. An aristocracy of wooden puppets intermingled with figures of beautiful destitution. A woman made from painted sticks and rags sang sonorously, her voice meandering over balconies and through half-hidden gratings. 

I was searching for my apartment, unable to find it within the labyrinthine hallways. Retracing my steps, I found that the hotel was in a state of constant flux, never retaining its form in any one place for very long. I wondered if it had always been this way, perhaps I'd simply never noticed in as a child. I vaguely recalled that the place was created as an homage to some fabulous movie, long since forgotten by almost everybody, yet still cherished by few. 

No comments:

Post a Comment